LeonardoMD is dedicated to giving back, both to the medical community and to deserving causes worldwide. We provide services, time, and monetary donations to foundations, charities, and charitable events which provide essential services to those in need.
- The Jimmy Fund is a foundation founded over 60 years ago to help treat incurable childhood cancers. The foundation has raised more than $600 million since it was founded in 1948. Aside from being an integral part in the fight against children’s cancer, they are also the official charity of the Boston Red Sox and one of only 10 charities that have earned eight consecutive 4-star ratings by Charity Navigator. “Jimmy” was a 12 year old cancer patient of Dr. Sidney Farber in 1948. That year, he spoke on national radio generating more than $200,000 to support Dr. Farber’s research, and the Jimmy Fund was born. LeonardoMD has recently donated to the Jimmy Fund, to find out how you can get involved, click here.
- The V Foundation for Cancer Research was started in 1993 to honor Jim Valvano, former NC State basketball coach and award-winning broadcaster. The V Foundation takes great pride in its fiscal responsibility and is proud to announce that it gives 100 percent of all new direct cash donations to cancer research and related programs. The V Foundation has raised more than $80 million and awarded cancer research grants in 38 states. The V Foundation has an excellent track record for finding and funding elite young scientists. Between 1994 and 2003, The V Foundation awarded 109 V Scholar grants to promising young researchers nationwide to help them establish their laboratories. Of those V Scholars, 93 percent have received additional funding and are still working in independent labs. An additional five percent are currently working in related research. Join LeonardoMD in the fight against cancer by contributing to the research of bright students in need of labs and research facilities. Find out how you can donate here.
- LeonardoMD has donated a laptop computer to a poor child overseas through Laptop.org. Laptop.org was developed to create educational opportunities for the world's poorest children by providing each child with a rugged, low-cost, low-power, connected laptop with content and software designed for collaborative, joyful, self-empowered learning. The laptops have wireless broadband that, among other things, allows them to work as a mesh network; each laptop is able to talk to its nearest neighbors, creating an ad hoc, local area network. The laptops are designed to be extremely power efficient, enabling the use of innovative power systems (such as solar, human power, generators, wind or water power). When children have access to this type of tool, they become engaged in their own education. They learn, share, create, and collaborate. They become connected to each other, to the world and to a brighter future. Find out how you can get involved
- Autism Speaks is an international consortium of researchers, philanthropists, government funding agencies, and families. For more than four years, Autism Speaks has provided a resource to find help with autism. In addition, Autism Speaks organizes and provides funding for major scientific research. A recent study documented a “fever effect” in children with autism, in which temporary fever-induced improvements showed increases in alertness, decreases in self-stimulatory behavior, and for some, more coherent language. Join LeonardoMD on April 2, Autism Awareness Day, in helping treat the fastest-growing developmental disability in the country by getting involved. For more information about how to donate or volunteer, click here.
- Transformed International, based in Kitale, Kenya, is an organization committed to aiding the ever-growing widow population in Kitale, Nairobi, Lodwar, Soy, and Kiminini. Due to the recent violent conflicts in the region, a growing number of Kenyan men are dying, leaving widows with no money or means of supporting their children. LeonardoMD has donated to Transformed International's Widow Micro-Business Project, which identifies truly needy widows with children and provides the training and resources necessary for her to start her own business. Businesses include tailoring, bicycle taxi driving, hairdressing, small-scale farming, and many more. 100% of donations go towards a business start-up and training, and each business can be supported by a donation of $100. To find out how you can support a widow micro-business, click here.
- For nearly 30 years now, the Make-A-Wish Foundation has been granting wishes to children with life-threatening medical conditions. Last year, the foundation granted over 13,000 wishes and had almost $200,000,000 in sponsor donations. When an eligibile child is diagnosed and referred to the foundation by a medical professional, parent, or another child, a Make-A-Wish team member spends time with the child to find their one true wish. Wishes are granted every 40 minutes, from playing baseball to digging for dinosaurs. 66% of the Make-A-Wish funding comes from contributions from everyday people. Please join LeonardoMD in donating to the foundation, granting wishes to very deserving children and making their dreams come true. To find out how you can make a donation or volunteer, click here.
- The Marine Toys for Tots Foundation is a non-profit public charity dedicated to collecting new, unwrapped toys each year during October, November, and December and distributing those toys as Christmas gifts to needy children in the community in which each campaign is conducted. Toy for Tots has supplemented local toy collections with 64.5 million toys valued at $344 million since its formation in 1991. During this time, the foundation provided over $3.9 million worth of promotion and support materials. This season, LeonardoMD has donated to the Toys for Tots foundation as part of a continued effort to make a positive difference in the local and national community. LeonardoMD joins several other companies in support of the foundation, including Myspace.com, Wells Fargo Bank, The Walt Disney Company, Wachovia Bank, Best Buy, and Toys ‘R' Us. To find out how you can make a donation or volunteer, click here.
- In an effort to give back to the community during the thanksgiving season, LeonardoMD has donated 2,000 pounds of food and grocery products to Feeding America (formerly America's Second Harvest). Feeding America is an organization made up of individuals, local food banks, national offices, as well as corporate and government partners committed to fighting hunger. Feeding America works with corporate donors to obtain food and grocery products on a national level to distribute donations to food banks nationwide. Aside from LeonardoMD, other corporate partners include General Mills, Campbell’s Soup, Wal-Mart, and Robert Mondavi. As of 2007, 37.3 million Americans (12.5%) were in poverty, and 13.3 million of these are children under the age of 18. In response, LeonardoMD will continue to donate to feed the homeless and less fortunate, and together we will work to fight hunger.
- LeonardoMD is committed to supporting breast cancer awareness. In this spirit, LeonardoMD has sponsored Shonie Nelson, a walker in the San Diego 2008 Susan G. Komen 3-day walk to end breast cancer, Nov 21-23. Shonie Nelson is a breast cancer survivor and nurse at Children’s Hospital. The 3-day is a 60 mile weekend walk along San Diego beaches for breast cancer survivors and friends. Thanks to events like the Komen Race for the Cure and the Breast Cancer 3-Days, Komen has invested nearly $1 billion towards a cure, becoming the largest source of nonprofit funds dedicated to the fight against breast cancer in the world. For more information about Susan G. Komen for the Cure, breast health or breast cancer, visit www.komen.org or call 1 877 GO KOMEN.
- LeonardoMD works closely with area charities and fundraisers through volunteer work and donations. This years Nautica Malibu Triathlon took place September 13-14, 2008, and benefits Childrens Hospital Los Angeles. The hospital is the largest regional referral center for children in critical condition who need life-saving care. While most of the children admitted to Childrens Hospital Los Angeles come from L.A. County, many others come from the seven-county areas near Los Angeles. Team LeonardoMD is participating in the Olympic Distance Nautica Triathlon to help Childrens Hospital Los Angeles financially and to promote health awareness by actively completing in the triathlon.
- LeonardoMD encourages donations to aid victims of the Southern California wildfires. LeonardoMD employees are volunteering their time and resources to relief efforts for the duration of this crisis as well as the long rebuilding process to come. Working together, we can speed the recovery of those affected by this tragedy. In that spirit, LeonardoMD encourages individuals and businesses nationwide to join us in donating to relieve the urgent needs surrounding us here in San Diego.
- LeonardoMD is an annual contributor and platinum sponsor. Interface Kids is a volunteer group of reconstructive surgeons, anesthesiologists, nurses, and pediatricians who give their time to offer reconstructive surgery to children in Mexico. The group visits five sites twice a year and performs up to 75 surgeries per visit. Most of the procedures involve cleft lip and palate repair, burn reconstruction, and correction of congenital and acquired deformities.
- Cruisin’ the Canejo is a 68 mile bike ride in Ventura County to benefit the Boy Scouts and Girl Scouts of America. The money raised helps to provide bikes to underprivileged children. LeonardoMD CEO Ralph Holmes recently completed the metric century bike ride.
- The Mud Run benefits Sonshine Haven, enabling children to attend summer camp as well as Homefront San Diegosupporting military families. Members of the LeonardoMD Sales and Customer Service teams participated in March, 2007.
To learn more, take a Quick Tour or Contact Us.